Marketing for Artists Workshop – Small Format Art & Headshots
The Boulder Art Association holds monthly meetings for members and friends. Meetings include networking, a short business meeting, and an arts related presentation.
For the October 2017 Boulder Art Association Member Meeting, we have the second of a series of workshops to help you build your art business and increase your confidence with selling your art. The meeting is FREE and open to the public!
Monthly Member Meeting Agenda
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2017; 6:00 – 7:45 pm (directions below)
- 6:00 – 6:15 pm: Networking and Announcements
- 6:15 – 7:00 pm: Presentation
- 7:00 – 7:45 pm: Small Format Art Practice Workshop, Trading & Group Discussion
- 6:00 – 7:40 pm: Headshots (pre-registration required below)
- 7:50 – 8:00 pm: Library closes
All are welcome! Come, bring a friend. Drinks and light snacks will be provided, and feel free to contribute drinks or snacks if you wish.
Members - $5
A great looking headshot is extremely important for the development of your personal brand as a professional artist. The headshot can be used for your website, artist statement, social media, events, and other marketing materials.
During our meeting this month, we are bringing in a professional photographer to photograph our members.
- To cover the cost of the photographer, we're charging a small charge of $5 for current 2017 Boulder Art Association members.
- Reservations are done on a first-come, first-serve basis until all slots are filled.
- Scheduling will be handled in the order in which members sign-up. Please arrive on-time to the meeting so you are available when your turn is called..
- If you are not a current 2017 member of BAA, we have good news! Become a BAA Member and sign-up for a headshot for just $30 ($25 for 2018 Membership + $5 for Headshot). Your BAA membership will be paid through the end of 2018.
Event has passed - signup no longer available.
Small Format Art Workshop
A strategy many artists use to get followers and move them on the path to purchasing art is to sell small originals or prints that are less expensive. Once someone has purchased your art, that buyer is much more likely to purchase larger and more expensive art later on.
We'll start with a quick review from our first workshop on digital marketing for artists.
Continuing in this second workshop, we will create our own small format art: Artist Trading Cards. Our discussion will focus on ideas and strategies for creating, reproducing, and selling small format art either online or in-person:
- Why Make Small & Low Cost Art?
- What are Artist Trading Cards (ATCs) and (ACEOs)?
- Greeting Cards, Business Cards, etc
- The Buyers Journey for Art
- Psychology of Collecting
- Strategies for Selling Online
- Strategies for Reproductions
- Local resources like Bldg 61, Makerspace
- Other Strategies like Bundles, Rental, and Trading
- Plus free giveaways to help with small format art
During the presentation, we'll have art materials available so you can create your own Artist Trading Cards and possibly trade it with others.
If you already have Artist Trading Cards please bring them to share or trade with the group!
This workshop will be led by Ed Narvaez, a marketing professional and emerging artist in Boulder, CO. With previous experience in marketing for tech companies and startups, Ed turned his focus to his own art career in addition to helping others fulfill their full potential with marketing. Ed's a board member, marketing committee chair and volunteer for the Boulder Art Association.
Main Boulder Public Library
Boulder Creek Meeting Room (1st Floor on the Arapahoe Avenue side)
1001 Arapahoe Ave
Boulder, CO 80302
There’s plenty of parking in the parking lot in front of this side of the library. The first 90 minutes of parking are free and there are no charges past 7 pm. An additional 90 minutes may be purchased for $1.25/hour. Kiosks accept credit cards and coins. See map and parking rates here.
Optional RSVP on the Boulder Art Association Meetup page.
3rd Marketing Workshop – Tuesday, November 7th
Photographing Your Artwork for Website and Marketing
Effective marketing of your art requires good quality photos of both you and your art. Those photos must be sized and optimized for the web or other uses.
In this 3rd workshop, Xenia Sease and Ron Broome will demonstrate how to photograph your art and how to best size and format the images.
We'll also review how BAA member artists are using our online BAA gallery to promote their own art. Creating your own member pages will be covered at workshop in early 2018.