About the Judge: Virginia Unseld
Virginia Unseld has been painting the western landscape for 40 years. Her work is about the act of joyous mark-making as much as about the subject she is painting. Virginia is primarily a plein air painter. Her studio and home are at 9,200 feet in the Colorado Rockies.
Unseld holds a Master’s Degree in Art Education from Rhode Island School of Design. She taught art in public schools for almost 30 years and has also been an instructor for Adams State University and numerous arts groups. She is a Signature Member of the Pastel Society of Colorado and the Colorado Watercolor Society and a member of Women Artists of the West and the Plein Air Painters of Colorado. She has exhibited extensively and won many awards for her work.
Virginia shared her thoughts about the winning pieces:
“Thank you for asking me to judge this member’s show. I was happy to see the breadth of the entries in terms of media, style, and subject. I looked and relooked at each piece and sometimes laughed and sometimes felt other strong emotions and sometimes delighted in the creativity or skill. I often struggled between 2 pieces when selecting one for an award. I have included a few notes to explain my choices.”
Unique Composition: Future Perfect by Sue Houck: “The design of this piece is unusual by traditional compositional standards. There is no clear point of interest. The balance of elements is also not predictable and therefore a little gutsy. I also love the title and the presentation, while simple, is still professional.”
Unique Contrast: Wild Red Desert by Carol Walker: “It almost seems as though this photograph was created for this category. The contrast between black and white and grey, the contrast of textures in the horse coupled with strong photographic skills and daring cropping and unusual “framing” method of wrapping the image on one side kept drawing me back to take another look.”
The 1st Bank Venue has Three floors:
The first floor requires 9 pieces of art. It is the request of the manager that they have continuity. There is also a spot for a large painting. The remainder of the art can be 16 x 20, 18 x 24, etc. Hooks are already placed in the wall for art.
The second floor also requires 9 pieces of art. Once again, continuity is important, same sizes as described for the first floor, and same deal with the hooks.
The third floor requires 4 pieces. Same sizes, use of hooks and continuity as mentioned for the other floors.
Exhibits are up for 3 months.
All three floors get a lot of traffic.
Location: Foothills Pkwy. & Baseline Rd. 4770 Baseline Rd.
Boulder, CO 80303
Must be a current member of the Boulder Art Association!
Interested artists, please email Info@BoulderArtAssociation.org
Join us for a spectacular oil pastel demonstration and hands-on tutorial with Rick Dallago. Guests will follow along as Rick presents the unique self-taught blending technique he uses to paint realistic paintings with oil pastels. Rick will discuss color theory, composition plus share trick & methods that he employs when painting.
The BAA is pleased to announce our partnership with R Gallery! Starting this September 2019, R Gallery will feature a wall of art by BAA member artists. The featured artists for September are the prize winners from our 2018 ArtNow! show.
Starting in October, art from BAA member artists will be featured in approximate 6-week rotations, depending on dates. If you would like your art to be considered for the BAA wall in R Gallery, please read below.
- Artist’s BAA membership must be current.
- Applications are due September 18, 2019.
- Images of 3 pieces of work that represent art to be displayedmust accompany application. Each image must be labeled with Artist Name and
- Randy Hale will be jurying for our wall. Randy has juried multiple shows and has several art degrees, including a BFA and a graduate degree in Industrial Design from ArtCenter of Design in Pasadena, CA.
- 12 BAA artists will be chosen for gallery rotations. Three artists will share the wall space at a time.
- You will be notified by or on September 24th if your work is accepted.
- If accepted, artists will be chosen randomly for display dates within the 5-month period from October 1, 2019 to March 3, 2020.
- Artists are responsible for dropping off and picking up work on time.
- Sales: 30% will go to R Gallery and 20% will go to the BAA.
- R Gallery has final word for all art to be displayed.
Instructions for Submission:
- Email BAASubmissions@gmail.com , subject line: “BAA RGallery Wall Submission”
- Attach 3 images of original work that represents art for display
- Each image must be labeled as: Artist Name Title
- Body of email must include: Artist name, phone number/s, complete address plus titles and mediums of attached images
- Email must be sent by midnight September 18th to be considered by the jury
Did you know…
- R Gallery is Boulder’s newest fine art gallery and is committed to providing local artists a first class space for showing and selling their work.
- R Gallery is located on Broadway half a block from the Pearl Street Mall where it gets lots of foot traffic – visitors from all over the world stop in to check out the art!
R Gallery: Stop by and see what all the excitement is about!
Boulder Art Association Sept Member Meeting
Please join us on Tuesday, Sept 10th, for this fun & creative event!
DATE & TIME:
Tuesday, Sept 10th, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
contact us for the location, thank you.
– Quick Introductions, Announcements
– Botanical Dyeing
Please join us for a unique and inspiring event where we’ll learn how dyes are made from plant materials such as bark, leaves, flowers, roots, vegetables and minerals to dye textiles for both home and fashion. We’ll also have the opportunity to make our own dyes from onion skins and avocado pits to dye a small piece of natural fiber fabric.
What to bring:
Please collect and bring as many red and yellow onion skins and avocado pits (keep them in the freezer) as you can along with small pieces of natural fiber fabrics to dye (silk, cotton, linen). You may want to bring an apron or paint shirt to protect your clothing.
If you have access to other plant materials or flowers like marigolds and coreopsis, you are welcome to bring those along as well.
Free for current BAA members. If you don’t have fabric for the pot, a couple of pieces of fabric will be provided for a small fee of $5.
If you’d like to become a BAA Member, please join on our Membership Page. https://boulderartassociation.org/membership/
WHAT: BAA Member Show 2019
WHO: Open to all current members of the Boulder Art Association
WHEN: Registration: September 23rd to October 28th.
Show: Tuesday, November 19th to Sunday, November 24th
Opening Celebration: Thursday, November 21st, 6-8pm
WHERE: R Gallery
HOW: Register now through Monday, October 28th
- Participants BAA membership must be current
- Participants must volunteer for a 2-hour block of time for the show
- Registration fee: $35
- The BAA will be accepting 2 art pieces from each member: The first can be no larger than 18×24″ (including frame) The second can be no larger than 36 sq.inches (including frame). One or both pieces will be part of the show depending on number of participants.
- Artist may also bring: 2-3 wrapped, matted prints or original art to be placed in a shared bin (flat, no frames) and up to 20 cards to be placed in a shared rack
- All art, bin work and cards must be labeled on back with artist’s name, phone number, art title, medium and price
STAY TUNED FOR REGISTRATION DETAILS COMING SOON!
The BAA – Run by Artists, for Artists
Denver Art Museum MONET Exhibit
What: Join BAA artists, family and friends for this fantastic opportunity. Our small group of sixteen will have the guidance and full attention of our very own docent. Afterwards, you are free to enjoy the rest of the museum on your own.
When: November 12, 2019 2:00pm – 5:00pm
For more information about the exhibit, visit this link:
WHAT: The BAA will be at the Boulder Art Fest, offering a hands-on art mural, oil painting demo with Andrea Roth-Moore, photo booth, raffle and more!
WHO: All are welcome! Adults & Kids of all ages are invited to add some color, design & FUN to our rollout mural. We’ll have crayons, markers and watercolors – All we need is YOU!
WHEN: Sunday, July 21st, 10 am – 5 pm
WHERE: Find our booth on the Pearl St. Mall, near R Gallery https://www.boulderdowntown.com/arts-fest